PWR BTTM, James Murphy, Big Ups, Beverly, Sad13, godheadsilo, We Are Scientists, Chris Gethard, Joe Pera, Spit, Patio, Forth Wanderers, Holy Ghost! Shannon and the Clams
Written by Patrick McNamara
Here are 10 good shows you can see in NYC this week.
This intro written by a person, not a robot.
Although it might as well have been.
Can this feature get any better?
10 Good Shows To See This Week
January 9 - 15 / 2017 A.D.
Here's Joe Pera being hilarious about finding the perfect Christmas tree (NCAA athletes take note):
A.) PWR BTTM rules.
2). I'm pretty sure this show is sold-out but you should check with the venue just to be sure -- I can't be doing all the work for you -- I've got sick shows like PWR BTTM at Joe's Pub to list.
3. We Are Scientists play Music Hall of Williamsburg on Thursday, January 12th (tickets). They play really good pop. A little too good for scientists if you ask me. I don't want to start any Internet rumors about a band I like so I'll just end the scientific speculation there…. but not before saying just this one last thing. Have you ever seen a picture of We Are Scientists in the same room as the periodic table?
Think about it. Will you think about it? Say no more. That's a deal.
Beverly opens. Please note: Beverly rules.
4. Here's the thing about Big Ups -- they rule. Apologies for having to put it so bluntly but it just had to be done. See them reign at Shea Stadium on Thursday, January 12th (tickets). You're welcome for telling you about this under-the-radar PUNK ROCK rager. It's no problem. Happy to. That's how DIY blobs do.
5. Forth Wanderers play Baby's All Right on Friday, January 13th (tickets) and if this excellent Montclair, NJ band doesn't become very famous and really rich I'm gonna give up music blobbing and switch to a quieter life doing endless data entry for some other thing. I can't fight it. Data entry is my #passion. Forth Wanderers rule. One of their big time jams even made our Top Songs of 2016 list.
See? Well on their way to becoming very famous and really rich already.
That's a solid lineup straight down the line so come for doors and stay late and see four good bands and have fun and support a good cause in the process!
By the way, here are some more upcoming benefit shows. Good causes. All.
7. godheadsilo play Saint Vitus Bar on Friday, January 13 (tickets). This band was born circa 1991 and put out albums on Kill Rock Stars and Sub Pop and were dormant for a long time but are back now and continue to be the very best noise rock duo from Fargo, North Dakota that I've ever heard.
PLEASE NOTE: this will be his FINAL DJ SET until the next time he DJs somewhere!
9. Holy Ghost! (and Classixx) play two shows at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Saturday, January 14th (tickets) and Sunday, January 15th (tickets). There will be dancing. Hallelujah! “Hamamalalalaldamamacomamaa!" <---me typing in tongues cuz i got the holy ghost up inside me
10. Shannon and the Clams play dope post doo wop punk at Baby's All Right on Sunday, January 15th (tickets) and Monday, January 16th (tickets) and if you don't at least seriously consider going to this show I'm afraid this relationship of ours might not work. This band rules. So think about going, please!
Thanks for reading!
Go see good shows!